The city’s new Raul R. Perez Memorial Park is now open to the public. The park is part of a coordinated project with the Los Angeles Unified School District and the new high school that is being built next to the park.
The new Perez Park replaces the old Westside Park, which was closed in October 2009 to make way for the new high school.
Located on Alameda St., just south of Randolph St. on the western edge of the city, Perez Park is larger and provides additional amenities beyond those previously found at the old park. Highlights of the new park include:
- 4.47 acres of park space (old park was only 3.8 acres large)
- 4,488 square-feet large community building (old building was only 2,400 square-feet large)
- Indoor fitness room with commercial exercise equipment
- Large room and kitchen available for private event rentals
- Grass sports field with lights
- Outdoor basketball courts
- Walking trail around park
- Parking lot (old park only had street parking)
In addition to facilities and amenities, the new park will provide a variety of recreation programs and activities including a free after school program, sports activities, recreation classes, special events, and more.
Park hours are as follows:
Community Center hours of operation:
10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday-Friday
9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday
9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Sunday
Outdoor park hours of operation:
10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday
9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday
For more information about Perez Park, please contact the Department of Parks & Recreation at (323) 584-6218.